Tuesday 5 February 2013

Anti-tech

This is going to be somewhat of a rant. I assume a lot of people who share an interest in
old boats could well be like minded when it come to "new stuff " and hi-tech this and that.
The fact that everything is becoming more and more disposable and completely 
un serviceable by the person who paid for it in the first place irritates the hell out of me.
I won't say I don't find all these gadgets useful but if this laptop didn't exist then my 
morning would have been far more productive. At very least I would like to be able to
own a car and a camera that wasn't out dated five minutes later and as for phones and 
ipods and smart gadgets they can all go to hell, we managed for a long time without them
and I fear that already many people may not. 
I am a firm believer that old fashioned simple engineering is better than any common
rail, fuel injected electronic crap that was put together by people that didn't understand it,
sold to people who don't understand it and who depend on people who don't understand 
it to fix it when it goes wrong.
I find it funny that so many people would be outraged at the concept that older technology
could be better but wouldn't it be great if today's engineering ability was used to perfect those
simpler devices. 
I'm sure you could then own a car or an engine that would last a very very long time indeed
and that this slight loss of efficiency would be far outweighed by is longevity.
For anyone who shares these views here's an interesting link that Ken pointed out to me 
a while back. It actually contains a good few articles on sail power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment